Mold Testing

Mold Testing - Testing for Toxic Mold

Testing for Toxic Mold

While not all molds are toxic, some are and this makes them extremely dangerous. You wouldn't let anyone in your home drink the toxic chemicals kept under your sink but when you allow a mold infestation to go on unchecked, you may be allowing them to inhale toxic mold spores. Not only may your family be inhaling them, but the airborne spores could be creating new colonies in other areas of your home. Airborne toxic mold spores can colonize within your home in as little as one day-before long, you could be overrun.

What Makes Some Mold Toxic? Mold is an extremely aggressive organism-but it has no arms, legs, or teeth with which to defend itself. So mold has to come up with another way to ward off its enemies and continue to grow. Some types of mold, like black mold, can create mycotoxins in order to defend its turf from other mold and organisms. Mycotoxins are toxic spores released by the toxic mold that can kill other types of mold. Mycotoxins can also cause health problems to you, your pets and your loved ones when inhaled.

Health Concerns - It is amazing the amount of health problems these mycotoxins can cause. Often, the health problems caused by mycotoxins are similar to those caused by regular pollen or pet hair. In some cases, the problems are so serious and life threatening, it can be hard for you to believe that a simple fungus is the cause of them.

Lung and Respiratory Problems - The lung and respiratory problems caused by toxic mold could include something as seemingly innocuous as a persistent cough. It can also include nose and throat irritation, nasal congestion, sinus problems, and symptoms of asthma. These symptoms may come on suddenly or may be gradual. It can be difficult to recognize when you are dealing with a mold-induced sinus or asthma problem, especially in a person who already has these issues on a regular basis.

Suppression of the immune system Mycotoxins are astoundingly powerful and can be the culprit behind chronic fatigue, fibromyalgia, skin allergies, and irritable bowel syndrome. You may notice that your symptoms clear up or lessen whenever you are away from your home and then flare up again once you go back.

Neurological disorders - Perhaps the most frightening side effect of inhaling mycotoxins is the affect they can have on your brain. You may experience mood swings, slurred speech and other speech impairments, memory loss, headaches and disorientation. It can be frustrating to determine whether or not these symptoms are attributable to a mold infestation or other disorder. Testing your home for mold should be one of the diagnostic steps you take.

If you, a pet or loved one are experiencing any of these symptoms, it's time to call a mold inspector to examine your home and discover any hidden mold. If no one in your home is experiencing these symptoms, you should schedule a regular mold test in order to monitor the mold spores in the air of your home and ensure that they are in check. It is not necessary to wait until you see mold in your home or until your family members begin to show symptoms of mold related illnesses before you call a mold testing or mold inspection contractor. Regular tests of your home should be conducted in order to catch a mold colony before it leaves long lasting effects on the health of your family.